Puerto Rican tales of kosherness, compassionate conservatism, the War on Terror and the calling.

Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Another day on the boulevard :)

There isn't much I can say about today, other than the fact that it was really, really hot last night when I went to bed. Apparently they haven't turned on the A/C in the building so there isn't any cool air coming from the big ol' block on the wall. There isn't much of a breeze coming through the window so basically I'm left to not moving much at all in my room and I'm still sweating bullets. Normally I would not mind it if I was working out like a madman in my room but this is happening after I take a shower and sit down to do some surfing or chattin'. It's pathetic and for some reason it makes me stressed and a little annoyed when I'm sweating for no reason.

In other news I almost shaved my head off, it was getting long and I think I left a total of .5 inches of length of hair on the top of my head. I feel so refreshed now, plus my Yankee cap should fit better now that I got rid of the puffy hair I had going. Speaking of the Yankees, they were playing the Red Sox today in the final game of the opening series of the season. The Yankees, dubbed as the "Evil Empire", were on the verge of completing a three game sweep and begin the early season bragging rights against the annoying Red Sox and proceeded to blow the game. The Yankees took a 3-2 lead into the ninth after scoring the go-ahead run in the 8th and having the entire Yankee Nation, like me, in shock when Derek Jeter took a blow to the head. Seriously, the pitch went straight to his head and you could hear the impact on the helmet and then Jeter fell down but stood back up and went to first base. Needless to say it was a sigh of relief because it was a scary thing to watch. Anyways, the Yanks score on Sheffield's sacrifice fly and head to the 9th with a 3-2 lead and Mariano "The Hand of God" Rivera coming in with "Enter Sandman" playing in Yankee Stadium or "The House that Ruth Built."

So in comes Rivera and he's had some troubles with the Red Sox recently (because they play each other a stinking 26 times each year, it's crazy...they shouldn't play each other that often) and he blew yesterday's save to boot but Jeter was there to save the day. So Rivera walks the first batter, allows a 2 base hits, gets a strike out, and has the bases loaded with Manny Ramirez at the plate. He has the defense playing the double play so we can all go home and start bragging about Yankees mystique again. So Ramirez hits the perfect groundball to A-Rod so that a double play can be turned and end the game but it doesn't exactly happen that way. A-Rod proceeds to boot the groundball and isn't able to even get one out!!! A run scores, and there's no outs because of it...I was so incredibly ticked off because that's been the story behind the "fall of Rivera." Everyone blames him for losing velocity because he's getting older but he's still getting people out. The past couple of years the stinkin' Yankees defense doesn't do its job on a routine groundball (like A-Rod today) or on a fly ball and then what shows up on the record is that Rivera blew the save and is losing his skill. You know what? If you make $25 million a year and you can't handle a stinking ground ball to turn a double play to end the game and sweep the Yankees' most hated rival then you should be to blame. Yeah, after A-Rod booted the groundball the floodgates opened and the Sox ended up winning 7-3 I think. Rivera gets booed and all those years of getting big save after big save is forgotten in an instant because he blew his first 2 saves of this season against Boston. Yeah Rivera didn't pitch that well but in spite of not having his best stuff he put the Yankees in position to win the game if A-Rod converts the double play. Instead they don't even get an out and a good guy like Rivera gets a bunch of people on his case for not having his defense do its thing. I really feel for Mariano because he's one of the few nice guys in baseball and he's incredibly religious and you can see he's God-fearing. He plans to become a minister when he retires from baseball and heads back to Panama and I just hope that I'm able to see him play one day before he does retire.

Wow, so I basically described my afternoon which consisted of watching the game, thinking about the results for a while, and then passing out as I tried to read Proverbs :) I'll make up for it later tonight hopefully. As you can see, I'm a big sports fanatic and I love the Yankees.

1 Comments:

Blogger Summer from Lorelei Caroline said...

I think you've been around cold weather too long, Martin. It's getting to you! How will you ever survive summer in the south again?

9:57 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home