Puerto Rican tales of kosherness, compassionate conservatism, the War on Terror and the calling.

Friday, August 19, 2005

Hate It Or Love It

So I spent my first back in Ames last night and I can't really complain about the comfort and spaciness of my room. The loft is sturdy, everything is newly furnished and it smells clean!!! If any of you out there know me really well you'll know that cleanliness is a big deal to me. I think it's also the fact that the building is only 3 years old as opposed to Friley Hall which seems like it's been there since prehistoric times.
So we just had our first house meeting. I must say that at the beginning of every academic year I realize more and more how a lot of these people have no idea what life is all about. It reminds me of the final Christian Living class Mr. Weston gave at LYC 2005 when he talked about the search for the eternal buzz. He spoke on how Solomon basically did and tried everything that supposedly provided pleasure: jewelry, alcohol, sex, etc and it still wasn't enough. At the end of it all he realized it was all vanity and that's what I see in how a lot of these people see this life. They're out doing their thing, whether it's drinking, partying or having sex and that's how they continue the rest of their lives. Instead of spending 4 years on education, they spend 6 or 7 years because they wasted so many years on the pleasures of the flesh. I'm glad this is my last year of school as an undergraduate because I want to be able to finally seclude myself from what I have to see every day here at school. Whoa, I sound kinda preachy and although I didn't mean to I just had to put my say as to what I think of this whole college experience.
So Sabbath is near and I'm glad for it. It'll be the first time I would be in Des Moines since before L4T and only the 2nd time I'll be attending there since May. What can I say, traveling and all this fun summer stuff makes attending my local congregation very hard :)
Hmmm, I said on one of my earlier posts that I was gonna give my whole opinion of camp, L4T, stuff in general. So I'm tackling what I think is one of the subjects that is misunderstood when it comes up in guy/girl conversation. It's on the whole issue of lists. I'm going to explain it the way I think of it and I apologize if I haven't explained before to some of you when the topic has come up.
Each one of us has certain qualities, requirements, characteristics that we like in the opposite sex. Some of these qualities might be: intelligence, converted, sense of humor, hard worker, gentleman (or lady for the fellas), honest, trustworthy, athletic, thinker, etc. When we start thinking about the type of person that we want to share our life with, we have qualities that we desire, a sort of list of things we seek in the other person. I think the word "list" has a bad reputation when it comes up in those conversations and I admit that I am probably one of those who's helped give it a bad name.
Anyways, we have expectations of the opposite sex. We probably don't write it down and make it an "official" list but we have it in our minds. Following this train of thought, there are people we know that we consider friends that fulfill those requirements. Does it mean that because that guy/girl fulfills someone's requirement in a partner that a relationship will be conceived? OF course not because that's where the whole element of attraction and romance comes in. Certain people might have those characteristics that we like but that doesn't mean that we'll like them in a romantic way because there might not be that attraction that is needed. I know that personally, there are awesome Church girls who have all the characteristics to make an awesome wife but alas, there's no connection in a "more than friends" way. I'm sure that goes for a lot of you too. When I speak of a "list" or whatever that means the girls who have the qualities that I look for. There's no order to it or favoritism or anything like that, just girls who have awesome qualities. I know for a fact that I haven't really tried to explain it this way before and contributed to the hype of it. As long as you have a good reputation, you're doing the things that you're SUPPOSED to be doing, you treat the girls (or guys) with respect, and you don't make an --- of yourself then you should be ok. I know that I myself have done exactly the opposite many, many times and still reap the consequences.
Well I don't know if this post made any sense (especially the last part) but if I didn't explain something clearly then please let me know through your comments or email me too. The subject comes from 50 Cent and Game's song and I wanted to imply that "hate it or love it we all have some sort of list." OF course as I started typing this up I saw that it would sound insensitive so I felt compelled to explain. I know that I have done (and still do) my fair share of pigheaded things and I want to go and say that I'm trying very hard to put those days behind me. So I apologize for the harm I've caused in word or action to any of you. Hmmm, maybe I made this post too personal but I think that's what I said when I started this blog out. I'm guessing it's ok to be more personal on certain things but hate it or love it that's how I am. :)

Happy Sabbath to you all!

2 Comments:

Blogger Josh K said...

Pizza tops my list. no, hockey.
Mmmm...hockey.

8:45 PM

 
Blogger Stacey said...

Well said Martin.

7:14 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home