Puerto Rican tales of kosherness, compassionate conservatism, the War on Terror and the calling.

Saturday, February 04, 2006

Right Now

I was thinking today and most of the week about things happening in the world. I am a firm believer in the fundamental battle of good vs. evil and how it is very present in the world. The problem is a lot of things are murky right now because of our lack of information or knowledge on a subject. I've been a supporter of the Iraq war in the sense that after 9/11 the U.S. needed to take offensive action towards its shadowy enemy. My main problem has been the lack of information the administration has given to the people. I know we are not supposed to know everything but the fact that the U.S. is supposed to be "disengaging" from Iraq yet more money is being pumped into something that has become almost inexplicable. No, I am not flip flopping position but I think the following lines would help understand the situation. If only liberals could understand that it's ok to disagree as long as support is shown to those performing such a meaningful sacrifice. This is an excerpt from Fort Minor's "Right Now" that was the most telling because it speaks volumes about how a musical artist actually writes about the truth instead of agreeing with the propaganda spit out by the press (whether it'd be CNN or Fox News). I never thought a musician would actually blame the press for drumming up the beat of the war drum and misleading a nation, instead of blaming the President. It's a good change of pace I guess. Here's how it goes:

Yo somebody right now is dropping his vote inside a box
And trying not to get shot in his throat
For the act of freedom right now somebody is stuck in Iraq
Hoping that he gets shipped back breathing
In a war that he's not really sure of the reasons
So we show our support when the press mislead them
Though we more then remain proud and salute the troops
Get some I know you boys got some work to do

I don't know why I decided to write about this or if it made any sense at all. I guess I just had it on my mind and wanted to drop a few lines. It's been a funky night anyways and it deserves a funky post.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home