Puerto Rican tales of kosherness, compassionate conservatism, the War on Terror and the calling.

Monday, January 09, 2006

Teach me how to rewind time

Wow.

That's the only way to describe my first day of my last semester of classes at the fine higher learning institution of Iowa State University. The day was long yet wonderful overall since it seems like everything is clicking for me :)

I start off the day at 7am along with Mike because we were going to shuffle our schedules around, add some classes, drop some classes, and figure out exactly how the semester was going to consist of. So after about an hour of adding, dropping, switching, writing down, erasing, concentrating too hard early in the morning...my schedule worked out perfectly!

I have 8 classes this semester, but it is not as bad as it sounds. I have 5 actual classes: U.S. Immigration History, China & the Cold War, Journalism & Mass Communication, Astronomy, and Politics of the Middle East. Pretty loaded schedule in and of itself but I needed 2 more history classes, a social science class (Journalism), a natural science class (Astronomy), and I'm taking another political science class just for the fun of it (and because Middle East politics should be thoroughly interesting).

The other 3 classes I have are: Weight lifting, soccer, and jazz dance. Yep, I decided to venture out and become culturized. Actually, I have upper division credits up the wazoo and I was able to take 3 easy classes that I really wanted to take. Weight lifting and soccer so I could get back into sports playing shape, and jazz dance so I could add something to the Hispanic repertoire (plus, my Mom would be proud :)) So things are looking on the up and up.

Today was a bit hectic though because of the whole early morning wake up/class scheduling scenario. After finally figuring out my schedule, I headed off to weight training, which lasted for only about 30 mins as the teacher was mentioning what we'd be doing, etc. I headed out to talk to my academic advisor to see if my schedule could allow me to graduate this May if I wanted to. She was all for it and liked my taking jazz dance idea :) Then I headed out to the hall where I was supposed to take Astronomy but found out that there was no recitation today and that lecture would be held tomorrow. Oh well, I went back to my room and decided to do my Bible Study and Prayer since I had plenty of time between classes (my Immigration History class doesn't start till 3pm. So I read, prayed, and then began my daily workout routine.

I recently started running as part of my "getting back in amazing shape" routine. I figured I came into college toned and in great shape and I should get out of school in the same condition. That is why I'm taking weight lifting (start doing weights again after a long layoff), soccer (great cardio workout, builds discipline, great team sport), and I'm running by myself as well. I ran about 3.5 miles in 30 minutes on Thursday, upped it 4 miles on Friday in 35 minutes, and I've been consistently doing 4 miles the past 2 days as well. I think I'm gonna be sticking at 4 miles for now. That I'm playing basketball too so I could get ready for intramurals in the next month. I think I might be pushing it a bit but it's what I have to do.

The only bad thing about my schedule is that on Tuesdays I have class at 9:30am (not bad at all) but because I added that Politics of the Middle East course it means that my last class ends at 9:30pm. The political science course is once a week for 3 hours. It will really test how loyal I can be to going to class and not giving in to the temptation of skipping out :)

Overall, not a bad first day. I end with a modification of Kanye West's "Golddigger" line: "18 credits, 18 credits and after 18 credits he finds out that he graduates!"

P.s. Annette, I'm incredibly jealous of you only taking 10 hours of class this semester. You've worked hard though so you deserve it. Don't slack off like I would :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home