Puerto Rican tales of kosherness, compassionate conservatism, the War on Terror and the calling.

Saturday, January 14, 2006

A good way to end the week

I didn't want to take so long between posts since I want to be able to update my blog more than I usually do. I've been in the blogging mood lately with a lot of things in my mind and I've contemplated either writing it down somewhere or putting it on here. I'll figure out what I want to do later once I'm able to put down in written form what is on my mind.

I'll start out with today and the beautiful Sabbath day that it was. It began of course with me sleeping in until 10:45am and allowing the radio to continue playing some tasteless pop song that has no place in the "good music column." I took a shower and then did my reading and praying, taking my sweet precious time the same way I did last Sabbath. I figure I could do that, leave Ames at about 12:40 and still get to Church in Des Moines with 5 minutes to spare :) I think I should wake up earlier though so I could have some more fellowship time before services but I'm liking the idea of sleeping in ;)

The services today were really inspiring, very much needed. The sermonette was a telecast titled, "The Lessons of History" by Mr. Ames with the focus being on the fact that the nations have yet to learn from the lessons of the past. Those who do not heed the warnings or lessons of the past are doomed to repeating the same mistakes. Of course being the history major that I am I very much appreciated the message since it is something that I have always believed in.

The sermon was titled, "The Power of Meditation" and it was given by Mr. Meredith. It was an AMAZING sermon, something that I had been thinking for a while. He also mentioned something that I was thinking about this exact morning too. I was thinking about how amazing it is that we are able to wake up in the morning and know what our purpose on this earth is and where we're headed. It's something that I hope we never take for granted, even in the darkest of moments. That's when we should reflect even more on the Truth and the understanding that God has given us and know that there is light at the end of the tunnel. Hmmm, I shall now proceed to step out of my soapbox :)

The rest of the day went well. It was good catching up with a few people and joke around a bit as well. I came back and watched some of the NFL games and watched as the Patriots reign sadly came to an end. Turnovers killed them but they should be able to reload for next year. Jeremy called and we were able to catch up on each other's busy lives and talk for a good while. I was able to talk to a couple of people online and catch up with them for a good while. I also got some "Jon time" for about 10-15 minutes since he was busy with his Milwaukee crew and his cell phone was about to die too. All in all a pretty good night overall :)

I guess I would like to end this by mentioning one of the best pieces of Scripture in the Bible. I was reading it this morning and it just plainly makes sense to me and how things are SUPPOSED to be. I think it's just plain simple. We are told in the chapter how we should relate to each other as brethren (with love, with understanding, etc), exhorted to redeem the time, and then commanded on how to ask as spouses. It's a very simple formula: strong marriages lead to strong families, strong families lead to a strong and united Church, and a strong Church leads to a wonderful relationship with Christ and His bride. I know I have talked to some of you about this and you know how passionate and dead-set I am to live by this particular part of Scripture. It just makes plain sense but like with everything in life it seems that even if things are simple we find a way to make it difficult. Let's hope we can overcome with each passing day.

Anyways, that's it for tonight. Yay for a long weekend!

P.s. Oh Annette I'm really sorry about having you guys wake up earlier than you wanted you in KC. I was SUPPOSED to be there at the Ostroms at 10 but the night before didn't go exactly according to plan. Yep, slept in the car, froze most of the night, had a long, long talk...all in all, I could not get there until I finally did get there. Sorry about that, it's a funky story that I could tell later.

2 Comments:

Blogger Annette said...

It's okay, we forgive you :) I know there's much more to the story than what I know. But I do appreciate that you've P.S.-ed to me three blogs in a row ;)

7:42 AM

 
Blogger Martin said...

What can I say, I try to keep it oh so seductive Annette ;)

11:54 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home