Puerto Rican tales of kosherness, compassionate conservatism, the War on Terror and the calling.

Monday, February 20, 2006

A time to reflect...

So February 20, 2006 came and went and it seemed quite unreal. For many of you it's just a regular day, no special meaning to it whatsoever. To me though it means 1 exact year since I was baptized. I had been thinking about that a lot recently since it has been a year and so many things have happened in that span of time.

I remember the day as if it was yesterday. I have always told people that I went through probably one of the worst weeks of my life as the big weekend came up. There was no other way of putting it...plain hell on earth for me in that week. Everything that could have gone wrong did go wrong and I was feeling nervous, awkward, and was close to backing out. I went into one of the room at the Blackmans' home (as we were all waiting for the Millich's to arrive) and started balling my eyes out in prayer. I was feeling so uneasy and scared but I knew if I backed out then that there would be no telling when I'd come close to making that decision again. I don't know how long I was in the room but it took me a while to compose myself. So many things that many people still don't know to this day were occurring in the background and I was feeling overwhelmed. Somehow though, God gave me the courage and the proverbial "kick in the butt" to make that decision and cement that commitment.

When I think of all the things that have happened ever since that day it amazes me how the past year has included incredible highs but also some very low lows. It's true when the minister tells you that the road doesn't get easier. In a way it does because now you have God's Spirit in you helping you but at the same time now the enemy decides to unleash everything in his arsenal to make you lose hope. I can say that I have grown in the past year, maybe not as much as I would have liked but there has been growth. The only reason there's been some stunt in that growth has been because of my own actions and my dealings.

I wanted to make this post longer and more reflective but it's really late and I need to rest my incredibly sore body. I'll save some for later I guess. This week is looking killer especially with the China and Cold War midterm staring at me (it's on Thursday).

2 Comments:

Blogger Michael said...

It just dawned on me who you look like. Being the hoopster you are I'm sure you'll recognize the name: Shane Battier.

2:51 PM

 
Blogger Martin said...

Thanks for the compliment Mike! I think that's the third time someone has told me I look like Shane Battier :) In spite of him being a Dukie, I respect his game and the good looks we show off, hehe :)

5:57 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home