Puerto Rican tales of kosherness, compassionate conservatism, the War on Terror and the calling.

Thursday, September 07, 2006

The Yankees Win....The Yaaaankees Win!

Wow! It was 2 a.m. as I opened Jake's apartment door after what appeared to be a marathon day of traveling. I arrived to Kauffman Stadium at around 4:30 p.m. and proceeded to devour a footlong sub and 3 cookies I had ordered at Subway before finally arriving at the Stadium. The gates open an hour and a half before gametime, so I stood in line until the gates opened at 5:30 p.m. I wanted to try my luck in maybe getting an autograph so I stopped by one of the shops and spent a ridiculous $7 for a Yankees baseball. I then found the section I was going to be sitting at (117, row X, seat 5...dugout view). I walked near the dugout behind the line of people already there (I bet ya I would have been able to be there if I hadn't stopped at the shop for 5 minutes) and took a bunch of pictures of Yankee players warming up.
I then made my way over to the area where the relievers were warming up and stretching. I took a lot of pictures of Mariano Rivera, the greatest closer in baseball history. I, along with the dozens of people around me, were hoping for an autographed ball but my efforts were fruitless. I did however achieve the goal of actually catching a ball. Corey Lidle threw a ball in my general direction and I outstretched two kids with my glove to catch it. Yep, I got an official and very used Major League Baseball ball. Not too bad for being at my 3rd MLB game.
The game was an entertaining one. Randy Johnson started for the Yankees and pitched no-hit ball for 6 innings until it was broken by a triple in the 7th inning. New York catcher Jorge Posada provided most of the offense with two 3-run homers and the Yankees won 8-3. I was happy about the win and now more than ever I want to see a game at Yankee Stadium. Hopefully that dream will come true before they move to the new stadium in 2009-10.
So I almost witnessed a no-hitter and there was an actual no-hitter thrown in the same day by a rookie in Florida. Simply amazing! There's something about watching a baseball game in person regardless of your age that makes you feel like a little kid again. It's the 2nd game I attended in the past couple of months. I watched the Washington Nationals during my stay in DC and I enjoyed that game as well.
Now I am too wired to go to sleep even though I was very tired on my drive up to Ames. Go figure, I wish I had this type of energy all the time :) Regardless I wish you all a good night!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home