Puerto Rican tales of kosherness, compassionate conservatism, the War on Terror and the calling.

Monday, June 12, 2006

Not ready to make nice

I didn't know posting Zarqawi's picture would cause such a fuss. I just thought that after all the days, weeks, months, and years of a difficult struggle, a victory in the War on Terror should be acknowledged. If you feel grossed out about a truly evil man getting what he deserves, that's your problem. I've seen grosser and worse things in my life. If you think his death is not a significant event then you should ask the families of those who were victimized by his reign of terror. U.S. soldiers, Iraqis, Kurds, foreign nationals, press corps members, men, fathers, women, mothers, children have all suffered because of his actions. Being here in Washington, DC has shown me how the morale of the people can be boosted by such news. Yeah, things are murky and it's going to be a struggle but at least for those fighting in Iraq FOR US and for the FREEDOMS we enjoy, it is a morale booster. It shows that the US can bring justice to the enemy and that the hard work of those soldiers is paid off in this case. It didn't matter who I talked to about this piece of news, people were feeling upbeat about this because it was significant. The job's not done, but at least it's a step in the right direction.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow - killing is good so long as it boosts people's morale....no further comment, this posting doesn't even deserve that much

9:14 PM

 
Blogger Josh K said...

I'm not saddened or disgusted by his death, or your posting of it. A brutal and evil man is now gone. Good. I won't celebrate, though. War is horrible. It brings no joy. I don't celebrate when I get a root canal, though a problem has be removed.
It is good that a terrorist has been removed. It is good for the people, there and here. I'm glad he is gone, but not happy at his death. I'm just trying to clarify.
Sidenote - I think the anonymous poster is a coward for not puting down his/her name. Why hide?

10:14 PM

 
Blogger Martin said...

Thanks for the clarifying Kerr. I know where you are coming from with what you said. As for the anonymous poster, why hide and spew out that propaganda you've been reading? Am I condoning killing? No, but I can see why people would think I am.

It's people like you who make my life more interesting. I've always believed it's people like you who are able to make me laugh. I had a professor who once said, "You need commies and Marxists in the world so you could have someone to poke fun and laugh at." Thanks for making me laugh :)

7:31 AM

 
Blogger Desiree said...

It's definitely a blessing to the world that such a terrible person is no longer having to suffer the misery of his own pitiful existance. But his death isn't joyful, as Josh said. It's exteremly sad and extremely sobering that such people exist in the world, and that they take such evil actions that they HAVE to be killed. It's sad we, as a country (and as a world) have to protect ourselves from these kinds of people. It's also extremely sad that, as we all know, despite the hard work of the US Armed Forces, our country is going to fall.

I also think it important (just a general statement) to keep in mind that, while the US did physically capture & put to death Zarqawi, it is ultimately God to whom thanks is owed. He allowed Zarqawi to be found. We can all look forward to a day in which God will provide a world where such people won't have to be captured because they won't exist.

1:18 PM

 
Blogger Karl said...

Philippians 3:18-20 For, as I have often told you before and now say again even with tears, many live as enemies of the cross of Christ. Their destiny is destruction, their god is their stomach, and their glory is in their shame. Their mind is on earthly things. But our citizenship is in heaven. And we eagerly await a Savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ.

Let's remember the large picture, big guy. This man was head of a terrorist organization, but nothing in this world is good, not them, not us (US). Even the murder of this man is an action we should abhor. It's tough, but we have to keep in mind that we are distancing ourselves from any and all worldly affiliations. I think this incident magnifies "their glory is in their shame".

6:34 AM

 
Blogger Annette said...

And a further comment...

All men are created in God's image. Someday we're going to have the chance to teach this guy the right way of life - whether or not he accepts it is his decision. When that time comes, though, I don't think he's going to look back on our glorying at his death as the attitude of agape. All sins are equal in God's sight...which to me means that I'm just as much a sinner as he is. Let he among us without sin cast the first stone. Yes, it's good that he's no longer able to hurt anyone. But I don't think that glorying and celebrating at the death of any of God's children is appropriate, no matter how heinous their crime.

9:29 PM

 
Blogger Desiree said...

Very well said, Annette.

11:14 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home