Puerto Rican tales of kosherness, compassionate conservatism, the War on Terror and the calling.

Thursday, June 15, 2006

Awesome night on the town

I figure I should give an update as to some of the things I've been up to since my first week here. I've been feeling in the dancing mood so my purpose was to go out and have a grandiose time. This town has so many things to do all over the place, and it is culturally rich with many places serving different types of people from different background. Of course, this spells that my weekends will now be spent out on the town :)

I went out Saturday night with a friend of mine for a night on the town. It was actually precipitated by the fact that I confronted Bobby (the Oklahoman) about eating all the food that me and Andrew (the Canadian) had bought. The 3 of us had bought massive groceries 2 weeks ago but of course food disappears and is eaten, which is perfectly normal. The thing is that me and Andrew would go to the small market next door to buy chips, snacks, bread, etc and Bobby would flat out eat it all without asking or paying for anything. He's vegetarian so apparently that gives him the right to eat the rest of the food that we have. I was quite ticked off that the cereal that I had bought was almost all gone and I hadn't even had a bowl of it at that time. So I confronted him about it that if he hasn't bought the food, he doesn't need to look at it, touch it, open it, much less eat it. He didn't like that but Andrew agreed with me and Carlos (the Ecuadorian always buys his own stuff). Oh well, minor spat that got me ticked off but it resulted in making me want to leave the apartment and go out.

I hadn't been feeling in the mood to go out during the day because: 1) morning services on the Sabbath are killer, and 2) I didn't know which place to go. After the spat I showered and Carlos had told us about this Latin club called "Sesto Senso" so that's where Christina and I headed to. We found the place pretty quickly but I wanted to hit a bar first to get my head straight. I tell ya man, going out in DC is expensive. Christina and I had a couple of beers at $5 a pop. I had 2 beers and she had only one so there goes my first $15 of the night.

After that I decide I'm ready to hit the Latin club we had been told of. A big black guy is the bouncer and we hand him our ID's and he tells us, "You guys are coming from far away." I tell him that we're interning in DC for the summer. Of course he noticed that my last name is "Martinez" so he tells me how I should come on Friday nights because it's Latin night and all they play is Latin music. He doesn't even notice Christina is there since I'm yappin' it up with him and we're talking about music and such. Too bad Latin night is on Fridays but Christina thought it was cool that the guy wasn't checking her out. I told her that's what happens when people hang out with me, I deflect attention from the people around me :) Oh and the guy gave me the best news of the night: they played r&b, hip hop, reggaeton, latin music, dancehall, etc..everything but techno. I was happy until I proceeded to pay the $10 cover for each person. There goes $20 and bumps the night's expenditure to $35 so far.

We get into the club and I'm feeling it man. The people, the music, the culture, the vibe...I felt at home. I kept telling that to Christina throughout the night because they were playing the music I grew up listening to. First thing we do is try to order 2 beers but the bartenders are horrible. She was going to do the ordering and I was paying but since the bartenders were girls, they were only serving the guys. After about a 15 minute wait we finally get our beer (I ordered and signaled in Spanish for 2 Coronas and she brought 4). I paid for the 2 beers and no tip for the girl since she was terrible. There went another $10 and now I'm up to $45 for the night.

For the next 3-4 hours we danced to everything that was played. Lemme tell you, it was a great selection of music. They played everything from Top 40 to Miami Sound Machine to Daddy Yankee, Wisin y Yandel, to T.I. to old Michael Jackson...everything that is danceable. The cool thing about the night is that we were actually dancing the entire time. No bumpin' n' grindin' or anything questionable like that. I was a dancing machine with my unorthodox/Latin style that cannot be reproduced. I kept twirlin' and spinnin' the girl and was teaching her some of the basic steps. Christina said she had a great time and that I was a good date :) She even paid for a round of beer and I paid for the last one which put my total at $55 for the entire night. Crazy stuff I tell you.

Thanks to the fact that the Metro runs till about 3am (and not the usual midnight hours) on Fridays and Saturdays we left the club at about 1:30ish and headed back to the apartment complex. Overall one of the most fun nights I have been able to experience. I told my boss about it and she suggested some places where they play awesome music AND there's no cover charge. Yep, I'm hitting those places this weekend. And instead of going to the bar I'm bringing the bar to my place. I'm loading for the weekend by taking advantage of the specials on beer cases. Bring on the weekend! And yes, I have an amazingly cool boss who knows what places are cool hangouts :)

Did I mention already that I love this town? :)

P.s. I have to take advantage of the $12.49 12 pack of Corona special that the shop next to where I work has. The only problem I can think of is trying to travel on the Metro with a case of beer. Doesn't look too good but who cares when beer is that cheap. I'm sure I'll figure it out.

1 Comments:

Blogger Michael said...

Still recovering from your awesome night on the town?

10:19 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home