Puerto Rican tales of kosherness, compassionate conservatism, the War on Terror and the calling.

Monday, April 18, 2005

Not too bad of a weekend

Back from a awesome weekend in Omaha. I must say that it was great that I went off on a spur of the moment type of thing and decided Friday afternoon to go and visit Kim in Omaha and surprise her. Needless to say, I think I achieved my goal of surprising by showing up in front of the apartment building and buzzing the doorbell and seeing her reaction once she saw me. Her exact words were, "you're terrible for telling me you weren't going to make it and then you did. I'm glad you're here." Yeah, I misled her into thinking I wasn't going to be able to make it because I left late and that I just couldn't but it was me just trying to buy time until I could get there in time :)
So we cooked some pasta on Friday night, her sister Lindsey, her kids, and her husband did a surprise visit and I got to meet them all. I liked meeting the gooey kids because I have an affinity towards the goo (yes I know I'm weird) and they were good kids. I think we watched "The Incredibles" about 5 times in a 2 day span but that movie is so awesome that there's no way I can stop liking it. Sabbath was wonderful because I got to hear the same sermon I heard before "Are You Prepared For Passover" by Mr. Meredith and I got a lot out of it. I took more notes the second time around than I did the first time and then had a great Sabbath dinner (yay for Friday night's leftovers!) and Kim went to see a movie. After much delay I was FINALLY able to see the movie that describes the story of me and Jon's life: HITCH. It was incredibly, wonderfully, romantic comedy that was just the perfect date movie. Watching Will Smith back on the big screen in a comedy was awesome because I've been watching a lot of Fresh Prince lately on Nick At Nite and I still remember all the funny jokes about Carton's height and lack of game and the fat jokes directed at Uncle Phil. Ahhhh, it's great to reminisce about the 90s and how it shaped my life :)
I made it back safely to Ames last night and went to classes this morning. Not too bad of a way to start off another week and I think the Omaha weekend was a much needed thing for me. Only 2 more weeks of class left and then finals week and I should be done for the semester with no looking back. I still don't know what my summer plans are exactly but I hope I am able to know sometime soon. I'm just wanting to get it done as soon as possible because it has been a difficult semester for obvious reasons and I just haven't been able to concentrate too much but school will hopefully end on a high note. Let's see how it all works out.
Last night on the way back from Omaha I called Jon and we were able to talk for about an hour. It was a good conversation and we were making some plans about visiting Milwaukee for the end of Unleavened Bread, making some summer plans for L4T and LYC, and just catching up on some other aspects of our lives. Unfortunately Jon is going to be heading off to France for the Feast this year so sadly most of us won't be able to hang with Jonny G this year at FOT but he said we should definitely do it next year so that the whole crew can hang out together. Under these circumstances I decided that since it's a late Feast this year I was thinking of maybe warm weather, nearby beach vecinity for this Feast.
So I was talking to someone in the Omaha congregation who has family in Florida and was telling me how Clearwater is about 35 minutes away from Tampa. This flipped the switch in my brain and I started thinking about how I haven't been to Busch Gardens since summer of 1995 and how awesome it would be to be able to fill up an amusement park with a bunch of church people and ride rollercoasters, run around, and have a blast with the whole churchy crew. So I'm throwing the idea out right now about maybe possibly getting the majority of us out to the same Feast site to keep the "unity" created after 3/12. I use the quotation marks here because I just feel that apparently something is missing in that regard. I know I don't have my own agenda, I'm willing to go where most everyone is going. I just hope that we're able to compromise into a location where most of us can be together. I hope we can do something together no matter where the location is. Let's try to make it happen. Anyways, that's all for now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home