Puerto Rican tales of kosherness, compassionate conservatism, the War on Terror and the calling.

Thursday, September 08, 2005

Domination? Sure, but there's more to life than that

Today was our first intramural flag football game and I have to say that it was fun and we actually won too! My friend Jerad put the team together and we had exactly 7 players on the field. The thing is that about 15 minutes before the game started 2 of our guys (Mike Dorothy was one of them) didn't bring the student I.D. cards that they need in order to play. So off they go in my car to get their cards and we had to start playing with only 5 of us against the other team's 7. You can play as long as you have at least 4 guys on the field...it's just that it's a challenge to cover that much of the field with only 5 of us and we're shorthanded at that too.
It actually wasn't too bad because we were able to contain them on their first drive by playing a New England Patriots' kind of zone and we got the ball back. We had a touchdown pass called back because of a penalty so we ended up punting the ball and they proceeded to score on a deep pass when they started on offense. Right at that time Mike and the other guy finally arrive (I'm not joking, it seemed like they took a half hour to get back) and we started on offense and were actually playing pretty well but didn't score. I was alternating at quarterback with another guy and I completed a couple of passes and scrambled around for some first downs but I did my "Jake Plummer stupid play of the game" with a poorly thrown wobbly deep ball interception which was returned for a touchdown. The thing is that I had the whole field in front of me with nobody near me and I don't know why I decided to chuck the ball instead of run like Vick for the first down. Oh well, instead of going to halftime down 7-0 we were down 14-0.
New half means new start and we got our game face on and just went on a prolific scoring spree. I jammed my shoulder on one of those scrambles when I dove for the first down so the other guy started quarterbacking and I started playing receiver. Then out of nowhere we start throwing deep bombs do Brian and he catched ALL of them, hands of glue I tell ya. Everyone was working for us. Short passes and running for the first down, long deep passes, 2 point conversions...and on defense they couldn't score on us and I think we ended up with 35 points or something like that. 35 points in the second half alone! So yeah, great game and got some good exercise out of it too :) I'm telling ya, we played like the Patriots whenever they fall behind and then start clamping down and playing serious :)
The NFL kicked off tonight too with the Oakland Raiders playing the New England Patriots so I was stoked for that! I also got a job on campus too just yesterday. I start on Sunday and I've got to go by tomorrow and do some payroll stuff and get my uniform. I work Sundays, Mondays and Thursdays and it's about 14 hours a week so it ain't too bad. Plus I think the pay is $7.25-$7.50/hr. so it helps out to pay my bills and all. The thing is that I work Thursdays from 6:00pm-9:00pm but our intramural games are at 6 as well. Hmmm, quite a dilemma there too but I hope they'll let me work something out since they like their students to participate in university clubs and organizations (and believe it or not, flag football is part of involving yourself in the community :)). So let's see what happens there.
On a more somber note, I would like to ask you guys to please pray for Mrs. Blackman, our deaconess in the Des Moines congregation. She suffered congestive heart failure and is recovering slowly. Mr. and Mrs. Blackman have had a very, very rough summer due to the fact that she suffered a stroke in May and Mr. Blackman suffered a heart attack not too long after that. They're the pillars of our congregation in Des Moines and are such an example for young people like me, plus they have done so many nice things for me and have helped me out in numerous occassions. I've stayed over at their house many times and we've seen the past 2 Super Bowls too (Mr. Blackman has a huge big screen TV). They need your prayers and I know they would appreciate it too. Thanks guys, it's been a rough year for a lot of us but I firmly believe what it says in God's word.

James 5:14-16: "Is anyone among you sick? Let him call the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord. And the prayer of faith will save the sick, and the Lord will raise him up. And if he has committed sins, he will be forgiven. Confess your trespasses to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much."

1 Comments:

Blogger the annster said...

Martin, you rock!

11:35 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home