Puerto Rican tales of kosherness, compassionate conservatism, the War on Terror and the calling.

Saturday, September 17, 2005

What an experience!

Well I'm back from watching my first ever musical and I have to say that it was pretty amazing to see! Seeing Miss Saigon in person was more than I expected because you get transported back to the place where all the events happened, South Vietnam. I know I might sound weird for saying this because I'm a guy, but if any of you guys want to reach out and experience something different, watching a musical of this quality is great! Great acting, wonderful sound, great soundtrack, and an amazing storyline.
I'll sum up the storyline for those of you who are interested. It's the story of an American soldier and a South Vietnamese woman who meet each other in the midst of the Vietnam War. It's a love story entangled in the middle of this war setting and it's wonderfully played out. They are able to marry and as he is able to leave Vietnam he is able to secure her papers so that she can leave as well but because of the mayhem of trying to evacuate the Vietnamese during the U.S. withdrawal she is left behind. He later makes a new life in the states while she continues to struggle because of the horrendous conditions in the new unified Vietnam. She has the soldier's child (he does not know this) and she tries her hardest to let him somehow know that he has a son. The problem is that after 3 years he is married to another woman in the states, has made a new life and now a critical decision faces him and his wife... I'll leave it at that for you guys and if you're interested you can try watching it or listening to the soundtrack :)

What else has gone over here in Iowa? Well I had 2 great phone conversations Friday night. I was able to talk to Kristen for a while and then to Annie as well as talk to some people online (gotta love multitasking :)). We had Mr. Wells up from Kansas City this Sabbath and he gave a sermon on Trusting In God and it was pretty good. Mr. Wells is sometimes hard to follow but he did a really good job with today's sermon. I think I got a lot out of it. He talked about how we not only need to trust God when there are good times but we have to trust Him especially when times get tough. He mentioned how trusting God means depending on God for our protection, salvation, and deliverance. It was really encouraging to hear :) (Plus, Mr. Wells told me I looked sharper than I had before, I guess it must have been the new haircut and the aqua tie I was wearing today, lol :P)
Anyways, this week things a looking stressful because I've got my Politics and Society test on Thursday and then I've got my International Security test on Friday. Oh and we have Career Day on Wednesday when all these companies come to the coliseum and do an expo and are offering internships, co-ops, full-time jobs, so I'm gonna go to that and see what is available. Plus, I've got work tomorrow night, Monday night, and Thursday night. Study time is far and few in between. I've got another intramural flag football game this Thursday too and I think we'll do better than we did this past week and win. We just gotta change up the pace at QB a bit with some scrambling, running and passing and show 'em who's boss :)
Pretty busy and heavy week planned out so I hope that I can survive it. Oh, and as I was doing my Bible Study this morning I figured out that my debate on whether America should restrict immigration is scheduled on the Day of Atonement...not exactly the news I wanted to know. I hope the prof is able to understand (cause it's kinda hard to change the dates on a debate) and maybe move it up for the class period before Atonement. Here's to some much needed Godly intervention on this week's affairs :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home